Watermelon epitomizes refreshment. I have vivid summertime memories of mom sprinkling a pinch of salt on a giant wedge of ripened ruby-colored fruit, seed spitting contests at the fair, and growing our first melon in my dad’s garden. In my restaurants at peak season, I’ve served watermelon in every dish imaginable. From mint and feta salads, to a twist on kimchi, and salty margaritas to granita and sorbets. It’s the perfect medium for all things cool and delicious.
Agua frescas make their appearance at every backyard bbq in our home. I normally prepare them in giant Vitroleros (glass barrel jars) to show off the array of colors. When it’s just Bryan and I, I opt to transform this drink into a quick and easy cocktail. Make this in a punch bowl for brunch or a pitcher for sipping on the porch.
A farmer once taught me what to look for in choosing the perfect watermelon. 75% dark green top, 25% bright yellow bottom exterior with a fresh stem on the belly button. Heavy in weight, loud ‘thud’ when you slap it. After scooping out all the meat from the fruit, use a peeler to shave the pinkish-white flesh and reserve them to make pickled kimchi (in our upcoming recipe) or for garnish.
|Prep Time||5 mins|
- 4 oz Fresh Watermelon Juice w/Sprinkle of Sea Salt Blended, muddled, or pressed
- 1 oz Simple Syrup We use 1:1 Morena Cane Sugar and Water
- 4 oz Tequila or Mezcal Blanco is best but any will do the trick
- 2 oz Club Soda or Sparkling Mineral Water
- 1 oz Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Dashes Tajin or Worm Salt
- 1 Sprig Mint Optional
- Rim two glasses, dipped in syrup or rubbed with lime, with Tajin or Worm Salt.
- Fill glasses with fresh cracked or shaved ice. Set aside.
- Combine tequila, juices, syrup, pinch of salt, few leaves of mint in a tall shaker topped with a large scoop of ice.
- Shake well and strain into glasses.
- Top with sparkling mineral water.
- Garnish with additional mint sprigs or slices of lime and baton of watermelon.
- Sip away.
Save those inner rinds for pickling and kimchi featured in our next recipe.